Thursday, September 1, 2011

"A Change Would Do You Good": Photoshop

Today we learned about photo editing in class, specifically about using adjustment in Photoshop. We were given the assignment to edit two pictures, one realistically and one unrealistically. 

Realistic
Here is my original picture. I liked the lighting but I thought the shadows could be improved upon and that the subject of the picture was a little vague so cropping would help. 


This is my finished product after I edited it. I cropped it so that the subject, my friend Caitlin sitting on the swing, is highlighted using the Rule of Thirds because she is placed in the right third of the frame. Because this picture is a conveying a pleasant idea with a beautiful location I used the Brightness/Contrast adjustment to change the color of the picture to make it have a happier softer feel as opposed to the more intense shadows and colors of the original. I then used the Vibrance adjustment to make the flowers in the background a little brighter. 

Unrealistic
In this picture the Be Extraordinary sign is clearly the subject and because it is the subject, the picture could be used as a promotional material or adversitsement for HPU. Here is the original.
In this edited version I used the posterize tool as well as a few other adjustment editing techniques to make the colors extreme, bright, and unrealistic in a fun way. I lowered the Vibrance adjustment in order to make the picture have more black space and then used the Hue/Saturation adjustment to pull out some of the yellows. This all allowed the Be Extraordinary words to pop  which is good because it is the purpose of this picture. Because the purpose of this picture is the sign its okay that the rest of the picture is somewhat unrealistic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment