Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Who Lights the Stars At Night?"

When I took this picture, my intent was to shoot it from an angle in order to indicate the perspective of the person or thing that Galileo's telescope is pointing at. Because of this, however, the size of portions of his body do look disproportioned. His head look much smaller than the rest of his body. This allows me to emphasize the scientific implications of his discoveries made as opposed to his actual ideas.

The frame of my picture is, for the most part, filled with my subject. However, the background is cluttered and can be distracting. On the other hand, trying to remove the building from the background would require shooting from a different angle may eliminate the possibility of shoot from the perspective of the thing or person being viewed by Galileo.

With this analysis in mind, I went back out to take some more pictures of the Galileo statue.
Although I couldn't continue with the idea of taking the picture from under the telescope, when I took this picture I decided to take it from a low angle because the twisted nature of the statue makes taking the picture from a low angle very interesting.

By stepping back a little from the statue I was able to get the upper third of his body: his head, hands and shoulders, as well as the telescope above the building and bench. This is an improvement over my last picture because I believe the head and the telescope are the most important parts of Galileo and thus the sculpture, so the picture should emphasize them and make them stand out.

The angle of the picture also still brings up the question of what exactly he is looking at because the telescope points out of frame and the line of the telescope naturally leads your eye in that direction.

Altogether I like this picture because it allowed me to take my ideas from the first picture and somewhat apply them to my second in a more aesthetically pleasing way.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title Source: "Galileo (Someone Like You)" by Josh Groban

No comments:

Post a Comment